There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for Bariatric or weight loss surgery:
- BMI of 35 or a BMI greater than 30 with at least with 1 major obesity related disease eg. Diabetes, Asthma, Heart Disease, sleep Apnoea , osteo arthritis.
- Reasonable attempts at other weight loss techniques
- Over 18 years of age
- Obesity related health problems
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery
- Pregnancy not anticipated in the first two years following surgery
Scarless Robotic Surgery – A Virtually Scarless Procedure
If you have been told you need gallbladder surgery, ask your doctor about Single-Site da Vinci Surgery.
This procedure is performed through a single incision using state-of-the-art precision instruments. Patients who choose Single-Site da Vinci Surgery experience a virtually Scarless procedure since surgery is performed through only one incision in the navel (belly button), which dramatically limits visible scarring.
The primary potential benefits* of Single-Site da Vinci Surgery include:
- Minimal scarring4, 5
- Minimal pain4, 6
- Low blood loss4
- Fast recovery6
- Short hospital stay4, 6
- High patient satisfaction6
As with any surgery, these benefits cannot be guaranteed since surgery is unique to each patient and procedure.
* Based on early clinical data. 4 Kroh M, El-Hayek K, Rosenblatt S, Chand B, Escobar P, Kaouk J, Chalikonda surgery with a novel single-port robotic system: cholecystectomy using the da Vinci Single-Site platform. 3. 5Haber GP, White MA, Autorino R, Escobar PF, Kroh MD, Chalikonda S, Khanna R, Forest S, Yang B, single-site surgery. Urology, 2010;76(6):1279–82. 6 Wren SM, Curet MJ. Single-port robotic cholecystectomy Arch Surg. 2011 Jun 20.
The Enabling Technology – da Vinci® Surgical System with Single-Site™ Technology
The da Vinci Surgical System is designed to overcome the limitations of manual laparoscopy with enhanced capabilities, including high definition 3D vision and a magnified view.
Your doctor controls the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body.
Though it is often called a “robot,” da Vinci cannot act on its own – the surgery is performed entirely by your doctor.
Together, the da Vinci System and Single-Site™ instruments allow your doctor to perform gallbladder surgery through a single incision. As a result, you may be able to get back to your life without the recovery or scars that usually follow major surgery.
The da Vinci System has been used successfully worldwide in hundreds of thousands of procedures to date.
All surgeries, including da Vinci Surgery, involve risk of major complications. Before you decide on surgery, discuss treatment options with your doctor. Understanding the risks of each treatment can help you make the best decision for your situation.